Tuesday, 25 August 2015

Girl Code


While I was on holiday in Tenerife, my sister and I came across the girl about our age who was just so rude I had to write a post about her. We were queueing up to go and watch a show and she turned round, looked us up and down then gave us the filthiest scowl I have ever seen in my life. Bear in mind that my sister and I were just chatting away probably about what we were going to have for dinner etc, yet with one look she decided that we were the scum of the earth. 

I felt like this broke some kind of Girl Code that we females of the planet have in place. Throughout the night, every time we walked past to get a drink or food or go to the toilet she would whisper to her sister and repeat said scowl. It got to the point where I felt so self conscious I wouldn't even get up from my seat to walk past her. 

As a part of the gender that is seen by society as somewhat inferior, should we not be building up each other's confidence? What harm does a smile or a compliment do to a stranger? The only reason I can think that this girl would be so incredibly rude and mean is because she felt threatened that she had other girls to 'compete with', but why should this be the attitude we have? Everyone would feel better for giving or receiving a compliment and building another girl or another person in general up. If the world worked in this way we would create a much more positive and happy environment. Not one full of hostility and competition. 

So what do you think? Am I overreacting or do we need some kind of 'Girl Code'? Let me know in the comments and we can create our own :)
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© What Does Mel Think?. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig