Tuesday, 23 June 2015

Book Review: All I Know Now - Carrie Hope Fletcher


I have watched Carrie on YouTube for as long as I can remember, and would call myself a very proud 'Hopeful'. Even to the point of having an 'ItsWayPastMyBedtime' t-shirt! So obviously when 'All I Know Now' came out I had to read it. 

Carrie coins this book as 'the essential guide to surviving 'The Teen-Age' and Andrew Kaufman author of 'All My Friends are Superheroes' described it as 'a best friend in book form'. In short, this book is a 'how-to' manual covering many struggles facing teenagers growing up from more trivial issues such as the Internet to serious problems such as bullying and mental health. Carrie adds lots of anecdotes from her own experiences in order to reassure the reader that they are not alone! I think this is such a good idea because Carrie is someone who many teenagers look up to, so to learn that she was bullied and had issues with friends too is very comforting!


My favourite part of the whole book was a chapter called 'Not To Worry', I suffer with anxiety so I am a natural born worrier about anything and everything, but this one sentence really changed my perspective of why I worry: 


'Worrying is something that doesn't change anything about the situation ... It just makes you feel more uncomfortable and, most of the time, what you're worrying about doesn't need worrying about and turns out to be absolutely fine.'


THIS IS SO TRUE! This one tiny section of the whole book has stayed with me and I have noticed a difference in my outlook over the last week since I finished the book! Sometimes I get myself so wound up about going to work or school or travelling, but by worrying about it I just make myself feel ill or have a panic attack. If I had not worried in the first place, then the situation would have been totally fine. It boils down to the age-old saying of 'What if...?', what is the point of wondering what may happen if it is fated to happen anyway? You are going to be much more able to deal with the situation if you are calm than if you are on edge because you 'know' something must be about to happen.


You can see that this book has advice that could help people of all ages! As I first began reading it, the friendship and bullying section seems more aimed at a younger audience but as it developed into love and generally how to be a good person it could be appreciated by someone of any age, I honestly think I would have LOVED this book if I were 13 years old going up to high school, as a 17 almost 18 year old it is good to read in hindsight and interesting to hear about Carrie's life, I enjoyed reading it, but at points I did feel a bit too old.



Have you read 'All I Know Now'? If so leave me a comment about what you thought of it, or if you're intrigued and want to read it.
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. wow dear your post was amazing !!

    I love your blog :)

    my new post :P Jadiee'sLittleBlog

    Have a nice day :D

    Jade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll be sure to check it out :)

      Delete
  2. i like carrie, this seems pretty cool! might have to check it out :)

    danielle | avec danielle // giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like Carrie then definitely give it a read, you get loads of insight into her life growing up which is really interesting :)

      Delete
  3. I really love your review! As someone who also suffers with anxiety, I know exactly what you're talking about and the book really helped me out too xx

    louleecutie.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so surprising how that one chapter has literally changed my outlook! xx

      Delete

© What Does Mel Think?. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig