Monday, 9 February 2015

Movie Review: Into the Woods


I have wanted to write this post ever since I went to see this film about two weeks ago. I had watched the trailer so many times and was really excited to watch it, which is why it was soooo disappointing to really not rate it that much. 

For the first half an hour or so, I was loving it! The songs were really fun and catchy and the plot seemed really interesting, then it came to a conclusion at about the hour mark and I was thinking that although it wasn't the best film I'd seen in my life, it was still a 'nice' watch to make you feel all warm inside. However, then they dropped a plot twist and dragged the film on for another hour and a half. This is what ruined it for me. It got to a point where my Mum and I considered leaving because we were so bored.


As I said before, the songs really were catchy, but oh so repetitive. The talent of course was incredible but I kind of felt that Disney just lured everyone in with big names such as Meryl Streep and Johnny Depp, well aware that these alone would draw in a huge profit. Therefore they didn't even need to make a gripping and creative story line. To be honest, I felt a bit conned because there was so much potential with these big names and Disney really didn't take advantage of it. 



There were times that I was enjoying it but felt like there could be so much more made of it, for example the two princes sing a song called 'Agony' which was taking the mick out of the

stereotypical Disney prince, which was really funny but they could have made it so much better. They didn't even dwell on this fact that princes aren't actually the courageous kind men we believe them to be, as aside from this song they just fit neatly back into these stereotypical roles. 

There were attempts made to 'reconstruct' the traditional fairytale: Cinderella didn't want to marry her prince, and clearly the whole 'mash-up' of overlapping story-lines. However, I just feel like this idea could have been made to be an amazing film, but the end result felt really rushed and trying to make up for time. 


I'm sorry this has been a really grumpy review but I was so excited to see this and I am really disappointed that it wasn't even close to what I thought it would be. Let me know what you thought of it in the comments, I would love to hear if someone did enjoy it.
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. This movie is actually based on a stage musical, so Disney didn't really have anything to do with the plot. I was caught off because I had no idea it was a musical. My boyfriend and I went to see it and were just like o okay, haha. We really enjoyed it though. (SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT)

    The one part I really didn't like was when then killed off the bakers wife. I'm so over women characters getting killed for no reason other than to push along the story and to fuel a male character's character development. Was super disappointed about that.

    paperbackplanes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with that, the whole giant part of the plot just felt so forced and unecessary. The songs were really good and it made me want to be in a musical... just not that one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen it yet because I'm not a HUGE fan of musicals...but my sister is dyyyying to see it. I'm kind of excited because of all the big names and Johnny Depp as a wolf (!!) but ugh, if it was that boring, I'm going to be wary. >.>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Johnny Depp was only in it for like 15 minutes tops! Such a waste of good talent!! :'(

      Delete
  4. I was very disappointed with this, it was sweet in till the end, just went so like off story, and seemed so pointless.

    Meme xx

    http://thedayinthelifeofmexoxo.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

© What Does Mel Think?. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig