Monday, 3 November 2014

'All About That Bass' and 'Anaconda' Negativity

Recently in the media, people have begun to embrace plus sized women. I think this is such a good thing because it relieves the stress brought on  by the size zero models of the past in magazines and on the catwalk. However, some people have taken it too far in the other direction.
I would consider myself someone who is slightly underweight, not out of choice but just because my metabolism is basically Usain Bolt. I would like to be a little heavier and in the past I have tried putting on weight by changing my diet but it just doesn't work. I know this is how many people feel on the other end of the scale, but my point is that being underweight can make someone feel insecure too.

This is not helped by people referring to underweight people as 'skinny'. In Nicki Minaj's song 'Anaconda', she sends out a rather explicit but still valid point that women should embrace their 'buns', basically if ya got it, flaunt it. But then she suddenly turns on 'skinny b*tches' even saying if you are skinny then get out of the club. I am not taking this song seriously, but for something that is supposed to empower women, it sends the opposite message that being curvier is now the ideal, and if you're naturally slim then that is not what anybody idolises.

Then in Megan Trainor's song 'All About That Bass' she calls slimmer people 'stick figure silicone Barbie doll(s)', and also uses the word skinny. I really like both these songs in that they are really catchy and meant with good intentions, but if you need to bully one group to make another group feel better does that really make you any better of a person than the likes of Vogue who present overly slim people as the ideal?

Skinny by definition means 'unattractively thin.'. Why is this word thrown around so casually? I have been called skinny more times than I can remember, it is never said as a compliment. How can someone say this and not be called up on it but the minute someone uses the word 'fat' all hell breaks loose? If you think about it they are each others' antithesis and are the two extents of the scale.



I think the problems lies in society, People don't understand that being underweight can make people feel insecure too, once when I said to a friend that I wished I could be a bit bigger she genuinely said 'Oh poor you, it must be so difficult being the ideal weight'. Just because that is what society likes doesn't mean it's what makes me feel confident.


So this is me getting on my soapbox and saying embrace yourself whatever weight you are, but don't victimize a certain group in order to gain more power in your message. Also, never ever laugh at or belittle someone's insecurities, whatever seems to be your ideal could be something that tortures them everyday. Just be nice and treat people with the respect you expect from them, please?


Please leave a comment with your thoughts on this discussion, I think this is something that needs to be talked about more and I would love to hear what you all think.
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. I think this is a really interesting topic. I think that if someone is considered 'skinny', people think they shouldn't feel insecure or haven't got anything to complain about but as you pointed it, it can make people feel insecure.

    I don't want the media to be accepting of 'bigger ladies', I want them to be accepting of everyone of any size. I could go on for days about the hypocrisy of the media and they have a lot to answer for in terms of causing a lot of people issues with body image.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you can see it from the other side too! Skinny and Fat are too extreme ends of the scale, they are hurtful labels that need to be treated as an equal. As you say, the message should be body confidence not another idea of perfection. Thanks for stopping by :D

      Delete

© What Does Mel Think?. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig