Monday, 24 November 2014

Holiday Review: If I Stay by Gayle Forman


I kind of cheated on this one and finished it at home. This is the third and final book from my holiday to read list, I think this was perfect as my last choice as it was a nice and easy read which relaxed me and left me with a bit of holiday even in chilly England.

That is not to say it was not emotional and didn't have me thinking every time I put it down. Though I do have to admit that not a single tear was shed, this was not a light topic. The story shows Mia, the protagonist, get into a car crash with her parents, from which she is left in a coma. She can see and hear everything around her, even walk around if she wants to, but ultimately this is to make one decision: should she stay? Obviously the plot is a lot more complicated than that but with the film and the book out I don't want to spoil it for you!


Unfortunately, I didn't love it as much as I thought I was going to. The book seemed to drag on a bit, in hindsight it didn't cover that much in quite a long space of time. This is an engaging idea, but I think it could have been a lot more effective as a short story. I am looking forward to watching the film to compare it, I can't really see how they will show her out of body narration but I am curious to find out.


So generally, I think this is a good read and if you get the chance to read it then do... But I wouldn't recommend it to everyone I know, although it could be appreciated by anyone because of the wide scope of ages and genders. Give the trailer a watch and decide whether it is for you! You might find it reaches you on a different level than it did me!


If you have read this/seen the film, leave a comment with your opinion. I would love to know what everyone else thinks about it! 

Also, there is a sequel called 'Where She Went', I kind of want to read it to see where the story leads but if you've read it tell me if it's worth my time.
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. I absolutely loved this one...but I also listened to it on audio and I thought the narrator was amazing and I just seem to do really really well with books I listen to instead of read. I don't know why!! XD (And also between chapters there was a bit of cello music. EEP. LOVE.) I found Where She Went not as good, but still 4-stars for me. ;-) It's by Adam! I thought it was a bit...predictable? And less musical. But it was still heartbreaking. :))
    I really want to see the movie!
    Thanks for stopping by @ Notebook Sisters/Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never listened to an audio book! Maybe I should give it a try because the music sounds sooo coool! I might leave Where She Went for a while, I'm not dying to read it or anything. I'm making myself watch the movie too just to give it another chance :)

      Delete

© What Does Mel Think?. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig